Family Traditions!!

Family Traditions!!
Blueberry Cake...passed on from my Grandma...now my kids favorite Birthday Cake!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011


appliances,blenders,cooking tools,food processors,households,kitchen appliances,PhotographsOk, here is my PROBLEM.  My new favorite smoothies are loved by my Family.  Now instead of making one and sitting down and enjoying every slurp, I turn on the blender and hear..."Can you make me one!"  Today, my 14 year old that is almost 6 feet tall,  had 2 smoothies.  I know, this is a good problem...but it is like hiding your chocolate in the cookie jar.  Everytime they hear the clanging of the lid, they want to know what you are getting!  I guess the lesson here is I hope the tips and info I share with you are ones that help you be healthier, but are also ones you share with your family! But remember, your goal is to introduce food that has a high nutritional value and are YUMMY too!

Go thru the Grocery Store with your EYES WIDE OPEN:   Money Saving TIP:  I introduced Raspberries to you a few days ago as one of my new favorite foods.  Raspberries are hard to find FRESH in Ohio in the month of February because it is COLD...ok more than cold, it is FREEZING!  Ok, here's the point, BUY FROZEN, but even frozen raspberries are expensive, but worth the money nutritionally.  But all fruits are NOT CREATED EQUAL!  So, it is good to eat a VARIETY...so here is what I found at GFS this week. (GFS is a store like Sam's...go to gfs.com to locate a store near you.). Also, check the freezer section in your Grocery Store, there will be several different sizes for you to choose from and enjoy.   A 5lb bag of Raspberries were $21 and a 5lb bag of Blackberries were $9.99.  Last week I splurged and bought the raspberries...YUMMY.  I am glad I did!  This week I bought the blackberries and my new smoothie is loved also by me and my family!  I also bought 4 containers of Plain, NonFat Yogurt because it was on sale this week.  It will last in the refrigerator unopened for about 2-3 weeks.  (there is a sell by date on the packet).   Another TIP:  Buy FRUIT in season, it is usually cheaper.  Right now you can find good prices on oranges and clementines (perfect for all the vitamin C we need to get thru the winter).  


DID YOU KNOW:   Blackberries are also rich in manganese and vitamin C. It is important to have adequate vitamin C as a lack of it can weaken our immune system, which in turn can make you stressed and run down. Other good sources of manganese and vitamin C are strawberries and raspberries.


Smoothie Recipe:


6 oz. Yogurt ( I use Plain for mine and Vanilla for my Kids)
1 cup of Frozen Fruit (raspberries has alot of flavor, Blackberries are great color!)
1/8-1/4 cup of Orange Juice
1 tbsp of Almond Butter (this does not go into the one I make for my teenagers) 
*I do not like things real sweet so I do not require any sweetner but if you do want it sweeter,  use 1 pkt of Truvia.



1 cup (144g) of blackberries will provide the following...Calories 75, Protein 1g, Total fat 0.6g, Carbohydrate 18g, Fiber 7.6g and they are a good source of folate 49mcg.

No comments:

Post a Comment